September 02, 2004

Public libraries Posted by Hello Before this year, my last visit to my local library was probably in the late 1960’s. And that’s no trick. I’ve lived in North Tyneside all but a dozen out of my fifty-five years. I can just about remember the local library. And when I re-acquainted myself with it in January this year, I could swear the tables and chairs, a little older and worn, were the same I used nearly fifty years ago. The same strange heating device was in the same place on the boundary between the children’s and adult sections. Things have changed of course. The little ticket, resembling a blue cardboard pocket, into which the card containing the book’s details were placed, had gone. Though the book insert on which the return date was stamped and the date stamp itself had hardly changed. Indeed the sound of that stamp being used at the desk almost immediately took me back nearly fifty years. Some sounds seem to have the ability to negotiate their way through brain’s chemistry to unlock long forgotten memories. It’s a small building whose contents reflect its hinterland. Although I’ve nothing to my own observations to support this proposition, I think its members are largely retired. A quarter of the “adult fiction” section is Catherine Cookson. However a quick word with the librarian or a search on the computer, and I reckon most books, fiction on non-fiction, come within easy reach. The librarian will even telephone you when the book has arrived. I know things always look bigger when you’re young, but I have no doubt the reference section has shrunk. In place of the twelve volumes “History of Northumberland” there are a ten or so computer terminals- work stations- with fast Broadband connections. A good exchange? During the summer holidays I’ve noticed kids being guided through the Internet by their parents, and even more surprising, the same parents helping them select books from the children’s section. Videos and DVD’s can be rented, a quid for a couple of nights does not seem exorbitant. And recently a table has sprouted few jigsaws you can take away without charge. Though I’m not sure of their borrowing limits. The newspaper selection is not great, local daily and evening together with the Mirror. But this has been easily offset today with a flier for this: THURSDAY 21st [October] Roses and Revolutionaries in Clousden Hill- Discover the history of the Free Communist and Co-operative Colony in Forest Hall at this illustrated talk by Nigel Todd. 2 pm at the Springfield Community Centre, Forest Hall. Free. Cheers t

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home