September 02, 2004

Bush v Churchill Round 1

Hardly a day goes by without now without we hear yet another extravagant comparison between Bush and Churchill. I don’t know if Bush really wants to return to his two bottles of spirit per day, or even a case of Havana cigars a week. But those who compare, mostly ill-educated Americans, seem to forget that the electorate chucked out Churchill, a great wartime leader, in 1945. And I wonder how many were aware of Churchill’s rather unusual racial views. Before the Peel Commission of Enquiry in 1937, the Bush template came out with this little treasure: -
“I do not agree that the dog in the manger has the final right to the manger, even though he may have lain there for a long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit, for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians, or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race, a more worldly-wise race, to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.”
t

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home