June 22, 2004

Complacency

OK, so I do have too much time on my hands, but for the last week one of my daily pleasures has been to watch the English teams' press conference from their hotel outside Lisbon. Knowing little about the "beautiful game" I'd hoped to learn something about team structure, tactics and similar features of the game that have just passed me by. I was not too surprised to how most of our players need little encouragement to demonstrate their stupidity. I'm surprised that the Anti-Social Behaviour Act does not include a provision allowing an order to be imposed on the excessive use of football clichés. Perhaps I'm being too hard. In fact I know I am. The fault does not lie on this uninspiring lot. It lies with the journalists who seem to be unable to construct a question intended to elicit a half- intelligent response. Last Saturday and Sunday, three players on display were Beckham, Frank Lampard and John Terry. I guess these must be amongst the brightest. Presumably those in the Rooney dullard camp would not be allowed out without their minders. The BBC's top man Garth Crooks tested them. "Becks" managed to tell him at least half a dozen times that the team were not complacent. "Complacent" is a magic word ", with all sportsmen and politicians. They had actually "studied" their next opponents Croatia, and they were a "good team". He continued by telling Mr Crooks that their aim was "to go as far as possible in the tournament" Good one that Beckham! Lampard us that "he was pleased to be in here", and "they would not underestimate Croatia". But to top that on came John Terry, yes one of the Chelsea Four, "I think we'll win, and I intend to have a good game." Some f***ing achievement that Garth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home